Sunday, September 21, 2008
The Hawaii Night Sky
I think my most awe-inspiring moment of seeing the night sky came when I went to Hawaii as a kid. I'm from Cincinnati, and on a clear night there you can see only brightest and closest stars. In Hawaii, though, I was amazed in looking up at a sky that was completely covered in bright, twinkling lights. There were so many stars that I could not find the Big Dipper or any of the major constellations. It is incredible, and somewhat intimidating, to think that what I saw one those nights is only a very minute fraction of the universe. The universe has millions of galaxies each with millions of stars, and each one of those stars could have several planets revolving around it. I know this is very cliche, but thinking about such vastness makes me realize my immense insignificance in the overall scope of the universe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment