Sunday, September 21, 2008

Man's participation in the stars

The thing that I always found the most interesting about the night sky was man’s quest to explore it. As a kid I used to love to hear about how NASA was actually entering space and I thought going to the moon was the coolest thing. You could see the stars and think about how beautiful and awe-inspiring they are, but then you think about how man can actually measure all that, bring mathematics to bear upon it, and even go up their themselves. Beyond my own interest, there is even a whole branch of fiction, tv shows, and movies that try to comprehend what it would be like to enter into the heavens and imagine what life would be like upon the template of the stars. Man becomes the only creature on earth that can look up at the stars and think: “Whoa.” And further we gain more information about it all the time through scientific investigation. So I guess the best part of the stars for me is the fact that the human race can feel like an active explorer, studier of, and participant in something so beyond us.

No comments: