Monday, October 13, 2008
Limits to the Universe?
Our recent reading on Galileo’s discovery of the telescope and our trip to the planetarium has caused me to start thinking about a broader issue regarding science. Are there limits to science? Or to put it another way, is there parts of our world that we simply are not meant to find out about? Discoveries like the telescope have obviously drastically changed our idea of the world and have brought progress (whether all of it is good or bad depends on who you ask). But is it all natural? Are we supposed to know about every last thing that exists in our universe? Or are we supposed to simply trust the world we live in and not examine in any further? I thought about a video game I played when I was younger. I discovered a cheat in the game that allowed me to take my character outside the boundaries of the world the game was played in. Whenever I would do this, the game would shut down because it did not know what to do. Is our world like the world in this game in that we are only meant to explore certain parts of it and not go beyond the naturally boundaries established? Or is the telescope or the spaceship permissible evolutions in a world without limits? Are we meant to continue to move through the labyrinth or enjoy where we are? Sorry for the broad question, but it just something I have been thinking about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment