Sunday, September 21, 2008

Reflections on Stars

I have had a few personal experiences when I was out in the country and able to see the stars well at night. It really is an overwhelming and awe-inspiring sight. The first thing that struck me was just how many stars there are. It gives new life to the old phrase "as numerous as the stars." But the sheer beauty and grandeur of the night sky lit up with stars is amazing. It isn't hard to understand why they were the subject of so much study and thought. Thinking about Rob's post about scale, I am almost startled to think about the size of the universe. How small we are compared to the earth, which is tiny compared to the sun, which is minuscule compared to the rest of the universe. And if I may be allowed to be a bit theological, it is amazing to think that God loves each one of us so much, and yet we are so small and seemingly insignificant in the universe. Also while reading the first chapter and trying to imagine the interactions of the planets in our solar system, I found myself thinking that there must have been an intelligent designer involved in creation. How could this have been just an accident?

No comments: