I found the Newton movie very instrumental in filling out the character and life of Newton that we got a glimpse of in reading the Principia and Optics. You could really see that Newton devoted his life and soul to his work. It was also interesting to see that his reclusive character matched with the esoteric writing we experienced in the Principia.
While reading the Einstein-Infield, it helped me to finally understand that light was the limit of velocity, and that you only experience a disagreement between experiment and classical transformation with velocity approaching that of light. I was really struggling to visualize the length of the measuring stick appearing shorter and the rhythm of time becoming erratic. On a random side note to this, I take my clock off the wall at night because the noise bothers me at night, and I have been noticing lately that the movement from the wall to the couch and back to the wall in the morning has made the clock slow. It will be up to fifteen minutes slow when I put it back on the wall. At first I thought that this was just from placing the clock horizontally instead of vertically (and something happened with the battery so the time was disrupted), but could this possibly have something to do with what Einstein is talking about when a clock is moved?
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Only if you're able to move your clock *very* fast! I would put my money on there being a problem with the battery.
Post a Comment