Saturday, October 11, 2008

Kepler and Snow

Something in the readings for Wednesday that had caught my eye is how important Kepler's rhetoric was to him and how he presented his work. Pesic at one point states, "His was not the way of the modern textbooks that strive to hide the difficulties of the theories they explain, preferring calculational ease to deeper understanding" (101). This absolutely reminded me of Snow's Two Cultures because I think Kepler would be a great example for how a marriage of science and the liberal arts really produced great and important things. Kepler also chose to become an astronomer instead of a theologian because he saw God in both which I found really interesting because one normally perceives them as being on two ends of the spectrum. He utilized the skills from the liberal arts to better explain this labyrinth we exist in, as well as the labyrinth of his mind (something I think Maddie touched on in class on Wednesday).

No comments: