Monday, September 22, 2008

Infinity

First of all, I've really enjoyed reading everyone's sky posts.
The sky, and nature in general, has always been very intriguing for me. I grew up i Columbus, Ohio, pretty much right outside of downtown, and so I could never see very many stars from my home. However, my grandparents' lakehouse was the perfect stargazing location: in the middle of northern Indiana away from any big cities. In the middle of the lake the stars are perfectly visible. I've always enjoyed looking at them and trying to pick out the constellations with my cousins.
However, as they do for almost everyone else, the stars mean something more to me than just beautiful lights in the night sky. They make me think of the infinite universe that we are living in. I love the stars. I do not love the concept of infinity. It's a concept that cannot be grasped by the human mind, and though I realize that there are many concepts beyond my grasping, this one makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't know why I'm so bothered by it exactly, but when I look at the stars I prefer to view them aesthetically and though it is the opposite of what a PLS major should do, I try not to think about the vastness that lies beyond them that is irritatingly far beyond my comprehension.

No comments: