Friday, September 12, 2008

God-fearing Scientists

As I read Bacon's New Atlantis, I was at times overwhelmed by references to "strangers" and the unrelenting, caring attentiveness toward them demonstrated by the citizens of Besalem.  While it may be a result of their wariness of outside influences, I think that it may also be rooted in religion and a fear of the divine, in the same manner as the Greeks' regard for strangers.  After all, the people of Bensalem seem to be fervently religious without exception.

There is no doubt that Bacon's aspirations for his new science, as related in this myth, are ambitious:  "The End of our Foundation is the knowledge of Causes and secret motions of things; and enlarging of the bounds of Human Empire, to the effecting of all things possible" (Bacon 261).  Nevertheless, it seems that his fictional citizens' religious fervor and favorable treatment of strangers, and consequent fear of God, are an example of the fact that Bacon does not want to overhaul society as a whole.  Rather, he seeks to bring about change with regard to methods of scientific inquiry, as well as the way that science functions and the role that it plays within society.

2 comments:

taraaaaaaa said...

I agree that their kindness towards strangers echoes that of the ancient Greeks, but it also seems that they are a little more cautious, understanding how strangers can change their society and limiting their interaction with the island. I think there was a Greek society who did this too, but I don't remember which one...anyone else remember?

John Tierney said...

I would take your point an additional step forward. The inhabitants of Bensalem are more pious and more Christian than the strangers are. They profess a deeper Christianity than the strangers do, and they show the hospitality to back it up. Therefore, I would argue that Bacon actually does want to overhaul society more completely than you originally said he does. But instead of wanting to overthrow the Christian religion, Bacon wants to strengthen it as he strengthens science. In New Organan, Bacon says his goal is to recreate Eden by restoring innocence through true religion and dominion through reformed science. In the New Atlantis, Bacon demonstrates both of these ideas--religion becomes more purified, and science becomes more effective.