Sunday, August 31, 2008

PLS and The Two Cultures

The goal with a PLS education is to go back to the type of education prior to the great divide between Snow's Two Cultures.  We are supposed to view everything under the title of a greater philosophy.  It still seems, however, that it becomes difficult for those of us with a PLS education to adequately communicate with the scientists of our time.  Does this mean PLS is not completing its job? Is there something we can do to remedy the situation?

1 comment:

Frances said...

I think that something Snow doesn't really account for that PLS does is that there is more than just literature and science that could be considered as polarized cultures. I realize that perhaps Snow's term "literature" could include more than just English literature, but there are great problems of philosphy, theology, etc. that, while sharing literature, are as different as applied and pure sciences. In this way, I think PLS is especially valuable because it provides a well-rounded education (for a literature-based major). We have classes in several subjects, including natural science (science....even though it's not equations all of the time, I remember doing a massive amount of proofs) and music, both of which would seemingly earn Snow's approval.